As more details continue to emerge about Cristiano Ronaldo’s explosive interview with Piers Morgan, the Portuguese’s time at Manchester United looks increasingly likely to be all but over.
On Monday the journalist revealed that he had conducted an interview with Ronaldo, which is due to be aired on Wednesday and Thursday.
Morgan has so far revealed certain details and snippets on Twitter, but supporters of clubs around the world are eagerly anticipating the full showing.
Ronaldo is claimed to have criticised United owners The Glazers, as well as current boss Erik ten Hag and even his predecessor Ralf Rangnick.
Former teammates Wayne Rooney and Gary Neville are also believed to have been mentioned, and it appears that the player’s comments may have effectively ended his time at the club.
Now, the 37-year-old could reportedly be set for a shock move to another Premier League side.
According to CBS via The Express, the player could once again be offered to Chelsea, with the proposed move having initially been touted over the summer.
CBS’ Ben Jacobs claims that, while a move is likely to once again be discussed, it remains a tricky concept.
“Told Jorge Mendes will offer Ronaldo to Chelsea again but any possible move remains ‘complicated’,” he wrote on Twitter.
It is claimed that Ronaldo was initially offered to The Blues over the summer when it was first reported that he wanted to leave United.
At the time, then-manager Thomas Tuchel refused to even entertain the idea, although owner Todd Boehly was keen on signing the forward as he looked to complete a marquee signing during his first window in charge of the club.
“Thomas Tuchel was the main roadblock over the summer, refusing to hold a serious conversation. He spoke to Ralf Rangnick and became immovably against the idea and irritated whenever raised,” Jacobs claims.
Now that Tuchel has been sacked, a move can once again be discussed.
However, a deal may still prove complicated as The Blues are believed to be closing in on a deal for RB Leipzig forward Christopher Nkunku, while Ivan Toney and AC Milan’s Rafael Leao are said to be other targets for the club.
Jacobs suggests that, while a move for Ronaldo wouldn’t be impossible and the club may well discuss it once again, if they were to move for the Portugal international it would potentially have to be at the expense of a move for another of their current targets.
Ronaldo initially became unsettled at United over the summer and handed in a transfer request in an effort to force through a move to a club competing in the Champions League.
The ex-Real Madrid man failed to attract enough interest, though, and remains a United player despite his ‘lack of respect’ for Ten Hag.
The forward has primarily been used as a substitute by the Dutchman this term, and has scored just one Premier League goal.