Bruno Fernandes has confirmed that he has ‘no problem’ with Cristiano Ronaldo after his explosive interview with Piers Morgan and the ‘frosty’ reception between the two of them this week.
Ronaldo’s two-part interview with the TV presenter, which concluded on Thursday, saw him criticise Manchester United, the owners and Erik ten Hag.
He accused the latter of showing ‘no respect’ towards him and that he had ‘provoked’ him to walk out of Old Trafford during the club’s 2-0 win over Tottenham last month.
Ronaldo, along with Fernandes, is currently with Portugal national team gearing up for the start of their World Cup campaign next week.
Both players were involved in what appeared to be an awkward moment when the latter walked into Portugal’s dressing room this week.
Fernandes appeared reluctant to speak to his United compatriot, sparking reports that he was furious with the 37-year-old’s interview. However, the midfielder has rubbished claims that he has an issue with Ronaldo, insisting that he has not read his interview with Morgan.
“I didn’t read the interview so I am OK with that,” Fernandes told Sky Sports, speaking after Portugal’s 4-0 victory over Nigeria in their last warm-up game ahead of the World Cup on Thursday. “As I said before, now is about the national team with Portugal.
“I said to him [Ronaldo] that the coach made a point that it is ‘us’. He has made that point since I came into the national team in 2017, I think, and that is still clear in his mind, that the main thing here is the national team and us. We have to be focused on the World Cup because the World Cup doesn’t come around many times.
“Cristiano is lucky to play in one [a World Cup] five times. This [upcoming tournament] will be his fifth time in the World Cup, so everyone is ready for that and everyone wants to give their best for the team.”
On the reported “frosty” meeting with Ronaldo on international duty, Fernandes added: “They put the sound [on the TV] after. Did you hear it with the sound? In Portugal we have a problem [with that].
“I was watching on one of the channels that was talking about that, saying it was ‘cold’ and ‘bad’ for 45 minutes. All of a sudden, they went to a break and the sound came on it and said that he was joking with me.
“They came back and said there was a joke, and then cut it there. If they go back they will see that there was a problem. But if they tell the truth and explain what was in that video, people will know.
“As I said, this is the national team and Manchester United will be my focus after the World Cup, after December 18, because that is the final.”
Fernandes is fully focused on trying to help his country enjoy a successful World Cup campaign in Qatar. With that in mind, he has made it clear that he has no issues with anyone within the team.
“I have no problem with anyone,” the United midfielder added. “I do my job and, as one manager once said to me, everything that you can control is yourself.
“I think everyone thinks the same way. You have to control yourself, give your best and let’s see.”